parresia

I AM MERELY THE WINE BOTTLE POURING OUT THE WINE OF THE LORD.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving - a day set aside to give thanks, but to whom are we giving thanks? This morning during my daily devotions, I wondered whether past societies had a time of thanksgiving as well. A quick internet search provided a plethora of information on harvest celebrations and days of thanksgiving where copious amounts of food are consumed with families and friends.

There is one realization universally shared by all. We are all aware of our mortality. Christians, Hebrews, Muslims, Pagans, Buddhists, Hindus and even Atheists share one truth about life. We all live to die. So we set aside a time of thanksgiving, but to whom?

For instance, does the Pagan thank the turkey for his life? Does the New Age believer thank those from distant planets for our existence? Does the Agnostic thank both God and the sweet potatoes? And please, on this day of Thanksgiving - who does the Atheist thank - himself? No, that cannot be right. Thanking himself would place him as the godhead and the Atheist does not believe in any God.

For me, I thank God - the one and true God; God the father of Abraham and Jesus. I thank him for my salvation. I thank God for my family, home, job, health, and all the other blessings that keep me alive, loved and productive, and if I may - I would like to thank a few people on behalf of God.
  • Thank you to the terrorists for reminding my people to call on me in times of trouble.
  • Thank you to the Atheists for keeping my name in the press as you wrangle to remove my commandments from your courthouses.
  • Thank you to the newspapers for the free press as you report on the efforts to remove my name from your Pledge of allegiance.
  • Thank you to the liberals for reminding us of our custodial obligations to the earth.
  • Thank you to those who have stirred the controversy about Intelligent Design. You have provided your children a glimpse into an alternative to evolution.
  • Thank you to the scientists for outlining the complexity of the universe, and providing a glaring discrepancy with "The Big Bang Theory".
  • An finally, thank you to those who created the red and blue map of the United States. You have shown us all that America is still a country that honors ME.







1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Thanksgiving season is a personal holiday for each of us so regardless of who or what we thank, it's still something to be grateful.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counter