parresia

I AM MERELY THE WINE BOTTLE POURING OUT THE WINE OF THE LORD.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, April 04, 2005

God Lives

Sitting in church yesterday, I had a clear view of the tree tops through a nearby window. It was one of those early spring days; gray skies heavy with impending rain, and a vigorous wind. One conifer gained my attention as it uppermost branches danced. It brought to mind the Roman conquest of Israel.

The Romans found the Hebrew people strange and unusual for they worshiped a living God; an invisible God. When the Romans conquered other territories in the old world, the conquered peoples had no problem accepting the Roman gods. These gods were evidenced by grand statues or could be taken along with you as “pocket gods”. You could see and feel these gods and if you lost favor with one god, there was always another god that would accept you. Not so, with the Hebrews. They had one, living, invisible God. It was incomprehensible to the Romans that these people would believe in a God that you could not see and touch.

So how do we know that God lives? That dancing tree held the answer – because he moves. We cannot see God’s face, but every time you request something from God and your request is granted, you also receive evidence that God lives.

" Moses said, "I pray thee, show me thy glory." And he said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim before you my name 'The LORD'; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But," he said, "you cannot see my face; for man shall not see me and live." And the LORD said, "Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand upon the rock; and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by; then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back; but my face shall not be seen." Exodus 18:23 RSV

God will not show us his face while we are confined to our bodies for our own protection, however, God can show us where he has passed by. And, if God has passed by – then he moves. And, if he moves – he lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counter