parresia

I AM MERELY THE WINE BOTTLE POURING OUT THE WINE OF THE LORD.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, March 21, 2005

Parresia

Parresia has been defined by some as boldness, however, I find a problem in this word substitution. The Greek word parresia encompasses so much more than our English word. Boldness is something owned by the individual, therefore, there is an element of arrogance in boldness. Parresia should not be characterized with ownership or arrogance. Instead, parresia is an "emptying" of the spirit. It may be likened to a wine bottle filled to the brim. Unless the wine bottle is emptied, it cannot be filled again. Those who enjoy the wine do not applaud the bottle for the wine's excellence.

If the filled wine bottle is not emptied continuously, the wine will either evaporate or turn to vinegar. This site is my "emptying of the spirit" for I am the wine bottle. I hope you enjoy the wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counter