parresia

I AM MERELY THE WINE BOTTLE POURING OUT THE WINE OF THE LORD.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Thursday, June 01, 2006

God's Favorite Color is Blue


Each morning, I spend eighteen precious minutes driving to work on a tree lined parkway. This drive has become my pause between the flurry of getting my son and I ready for the day and the demanding pace of my workday. It is during this drive that I stop to catch my breath.

I remember driving one, clean September day and God's small voice welled up inside of me, "Look at this day. Isn't it fine?"

So I looked. The sky was cobalt blue without a cloud marring its expanse. In the foreground, huge trees bursting with the green of a full season lay across the sky. I responded, "Who would think to create green trees against that color blue?", I asked incredulously.

A single syllable was all I received. "I"

I smiled. Then, I reflected. I reflected on scientists studying God's laws of nature, and although they revered those same irrefutable laws he set at the dawn of time, they could not see him. I reflected on the water cycle; just one of these laws. I pictured dinosaurs drinking deeply from antediluvian lakes and later relieving themselves with a long, satisfying gush. The warm air and sun distills the gush, and the water evaporates into the air leaving the impurities on the soil to feed his tiniest creatures. The evaporated water travels far and returns to the earth as the rain outside my office window. And so we drink and complete the cycle. I marveled at how self-contained and arrogant the earth must appear in the cosmos; one blue planet, starkly marking its place among a myriad of red and gray planets.

Then suddenly, I knew that God's favorite color is blue.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. " John 3:16 RSV

1 Comments:

Blogger Bruce's Evil Twin said...

Thanks for the comment.

Great post - may use some of it at Church sometime :)

God Bless

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counter