parresia

I AM MERELY THE WINE BOTTLE POURING OUT THE WINE OF THE LORD.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, May 08, 2006

Forgive But Not Forget


"...but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Matthew 6:15 RSV

There are two idioms that I would like to address. One is 'Forgive and forget' and the other is 'I will forgive, but I will never forget'. Is there room for both in the kingdom of God?

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." John 14:27 RSV

For us to have peace, we must forgive as Christ forgave. God's plan of salvation through his son, Jesus promises us that our sins are forgiven if we believe. All our past, present and future sins were laid upon the cross, and we walk with God as though there had never been a separation fostered by sin. This removes guilt. Going forward, guilt would be another sin because it is not based on God's plan of salvation. Remember, guilt should come before forgiveness; not after.

When we forgive but not forget, the veil of guilt still hangs over the other person. Also, the veil of self-righteousness hangs over ourselves. The relationship is not restored. The only change is that the power has shifted from one person to the other. We must not only forgive, but forget if the relationship is to be restored.

Also, when we do not forget, our peace has not been restored. Though we hate to admit it, there is no forgiveness without forgetting, for that remembering allows an open door to Satan for stirring up the anger all over again. We must forgive and forget.

Jesus had raised up Peter by appointing him the first leader of the his new church. Peter certainly had a bravado about him and was probably the best candidate for this job. However, when the atmosphere became charged and danger was imminent, Peter denied knowing Christ three times.

When Jesus appeared to the apostles after his death, Peter repented. He didn't tell Jesus he was sorry, but his actions spoke of sorrow and repentance. Jesus forgave him as he prophiesied at the Passover meal - but did Jesus forget?

Obviously, he did because Peter was still the first leader of the church. His sin existed no more.

2 Comments:

Blogger vanessa said...

I really like the way ur writing,I love writing but my english isn't good enough to write my thought,cos I am from Taiwan and I don't have a chance to study in oversea,but I am still learning by myself somehow now.
I wish I can do it as good as yours some days.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said...

I applaud you Vanessa - you can speak and write two languages - I only know English. May God bless you.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counter