parresia

I AM MERELY THE WINE BOTTLE POURING OUT THE WINE OF THE LORD.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Monday, February 27, 2006

Fun With Dick and Jane


I have learned that when God does something, he wastes no effort on just one thing. Everything he does serves on many different levels. These levels are probably more complex than we can discern - God is, after all, infinite - so it stands to reason that his works are infinite, as well.

Take the Bible, for instance. The Bible is God's word, but is it his only word? I believe the Bible, complex as it stands, is probably just the primer on who God is. The Bible is a glimpse of God - not the whole God. The Bible is the very first reader - or a Fun with Dick and Jane book - for humankind to learn the nature of God.

If this is true, then how do we learn more about God? The answer is simple - ask! During my morning prayers, I ask God to show me everything about him. Now, I know that as a human being wrapped in a body that belongs to the world, there is no way that I will ever know everything about the character of God. I am sure God knows this as well, but I can ask - can't I?

Of course I can ask. God told us to ask for everything. However, just as a youthful son may ask to drive the car on the driveway, or a young daughter would like to bake a cake solo, God will just chuckle and say - not yet - you need to grow up a little more before you can know that. But it never hurts to ask, for God may say - "I'll let you know part of what you want revealed for now. The rest I will give you when you have matured a little more." If we do not ask, we may miss even part of his charcter and wisdom.

Let us look at Solomon - the historical epitome of wisdom:" In that night God appeared to Solomon, and said to him, "Ask what I shall give you." And Solomon said to God, "Thou hast shown great and steadfast love to David my father, and hast made me king in his stead. O LORD God, let thy promise to David my father be now fulfilled, for thou hast made me king over a people as many as the dust of the earth. Give me now wisdom and knowledge to go out and come in before this people, for who can rule this thy people, that is so great?" God answered Solomon, "Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked possessions, wealth, honor, or the life of those who hate you, and have not even asked long life, but have asked wisdom and knowledge for yourself that you may rule my people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge are granted to you. I will also give you riches, possessions, and honor, such as none of the kings had who were before you, and none after you shall have the like." 2 Chronicles 1:7-12 RSV

7 Comments:

Blogger Peter Attwood said...

I very much liked your response to Nahida Izzat, and it's great to see your understanding that asking God questions is how we get answers. You seem to have observed how Jesus makes this point in Mark 4.

I grew up in Fairfield County among the preppies.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Krista Heiser said...

Anne,

Thank you for stopping by my blog today. Every prayer and kind thought is welcome.

I also agree with you...asking is what God wants us to do. I also believe he only reveals to us what we're ready and willing to accept.

God bless!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Reinaldo Ramos, Jr., M.Div. said...

Dear Parresia - thank you for your comment at my blog. Rarely do I ever have them. So, I guess I will assume from here on that people actually read these thoughts. The suggestion that I try God because he is after all immutable ... you assume I do not know Him. You shouldn't. You can know God and still have questions. You've said so yourself. Also, a cursory reading of the Psalms, even the imprecatory ones!!, shows that life is not so easily defined. Sometimes I wonder if God would not be offended at the thought that people would "try" him much like they do a new menu item at a local restaurant. Just a thought. Take care and thanks again for stopping by. Rei

2:16 AM  
Blogger Lana said...

Thank you for stopping bye and leaving a comment.
I'll be back here.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I have enjoyed your blog. It is nice to see others perspective on God.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said...

Dear Peter - thank you for visiting my site. Yes - although God knows us, our purpose is to know him. He created us for a relationship with him, and that can only be accomplished by asking him questions about himself and reading his Word.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said...

Dear Krista - Amen! If we do not ask - then we may never know whatever it is that keeps us distanced from him. Thanks for visiting my site.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counter