parresia

I AM MERELY THE WINE BOTTLE POURING OUT THE WINE OF THE LORD.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Check Your Compass


As I was driving the other day, I noticed a car in front of me displaying a popular bumper sticker -"God is my co-pilot". I had seen this bumper sticker many times before and agreed with its premise, but this day was different. I guess I was different this day.

I remembered with amazement and wonder that I could ask God for something and he would give it. God started my car when it would not start, and he found a parking space for me when the whole lot was full. He kept the snow away when I had a trip I needed to make, and he sent me money when there were repairs needed that I could not afford. I realized that during that time in my life, I was leading God around on a leash - like a little dog.

Then I remembered as time passed, instead of asking God for 'things', I started praying over my dreams and goals. "Please God show me which way to go to achieve.....". I had set the course for my life. I planned out each day with a to-do list and asked God to help me get to the end of my list. God was indeed my co-pilot.

However, once again things changed for me. No longer do I lead God around like a puppy on leash, and my lists are flexible and even disposable. Now when I wake in the morning, I ask God , "Which way should I go today?" God is now my compass.

When Jesus said "I came to give you freedom and peace" - this is what he meant. It is so liberating to turn your every thought, action and purpose over to God's authority; not as an automaton, but as a willing participant. It was my choice to follow wherever he leads, and that choice must be made many times each day - in every situation. It is humbling to submit to God in this way, but the benefits are freedom from worry and the enusing peace.

Also, when you allow the Creator of the entire universe to direct your every step - you are guaranteed success - for he knows the outcome!

"Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go." John 21:18 RSV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counter